Thursday 15 May 2014

Day 2 of filming: Thurs 8th May

Day two was a little more organised and by far the busiest day.  I had to rearrange the order of scenes due to the fact I had messed up on day 1. Me and Alex filmed the bedroom scene at 9am. I had made sure Alex was wearing the same clothes, and for Liv to wear something slightly different in each scene to play with the idea of Alex imagining her every time we see her.

I mixed icing sugar with a small bit of water to create a sperm looking paste for Alex to dip his hand, show to the camera and wipe on my bedsheets.

After which i called on my mum to shout at Alex for him to go to school.

I was most excited about shooting today because a friend of mine had lent me his glidecam! The night before i was walking around my house testing out different lenses to work out which one disrupted the movement of the glidecam the least, yet produced the widest shot. In the end i went with the standard 24mm-105mm EF Lens and had it zoomed out to the max.

On the way to Town, I shot Alex walking up the stairs at Canons Park and getting on the train. I didn't realise until after wards that i hadn't recorded sound..... I replaced the sound in post production with London Underground sound effects i found online. Whilst on the train, I asked a random passenger if they would be willing to ask Alex to move his bag, and for me to film them. This lovely woman said yes, attempted it, but it was utter crap and it needed to be practiced first... So I left it for the mean time and thought about doing it after our trip to Piccadilly and Baker Street.

We met Liv at Piccadilly at 1030 at my friends dads shop called Donuts & Baguettes where he let us film all morning. The customers in the shop didn't have a problem with us filming. Whilst I would get POV shots of Alex walking around Piccadilly Circus, Liv chilled in the shop. My arm was already acing from the glide cam as i wasn't quite used to it.

We were wrapped up by 1pm so we went straight to Baker Street to meet Jamie who was going to play Liv's boyfriend on the train. I had arranged with him to film outside Westminster Uni. I made sure i printed off a posted that said 'Closed for Easter' to stick on the door for the Uni.

I wanted to get a shot from behind Alex of him walking out of Baker Street Station,  knowing in the back of my mind that it probably wasn't legal. I got stopped at i reached the gates to exit the station by an undercover policeman. After he warned me i am not allowed to do this and showed him proof of ID that i am in fact a  third year student of Leeds College of Art filming my final project. He was polite and suggested i got in contact with TFL to come up with some sort of arrangement for me to film underground.... I thanked him and i got on with my filming.

I didn't realise how busy the entrance to Westminster Uni would be, so i stumbled upon a side door that we used as the entrance for a pretend Westminster Uni. The door itself was locked but by the main entrance was a ramp with glass going a long the side, so i stuck the poster onto that, went behind it, got Alex to walk in front of it the same way he approached the door to get a shot that made me look i was behind the actual door.

As Alex is about to Leave Westminster Uni, he notices an empty bottle of vodka that we had placed on the floor, that leads him to the newsagent opposite the road, to buy his own bottle. I purposely shot outside so we didn't need to ask any permission or disturb anyone just to get a quick shot.

Me and Alex got back to mine at 6ish, around the time we had planned to meet my mum so we could film the shot of her and Alex having a conversation in her car. It was still light enough to capture an early morning vibe. I sat in the back and we did about 4 or 5 journeys around the block so i could shoot various different angles. I had asked Alex to change the channel and turn up the volume. I was always going to create my own sound for this part in post production.

It turned out to be a very productive day as we also fitted in the kitchen scene where Alex's mum was diong his head in and constantly nagging. I filmed the scene of him eating breakfast separately from his mum pacing up and down the kitchen nagging at him but it was framed at the same angle. This way, I was able to speed her up in post production and playing with sound effects to give off the impression that she is actually doing his head in. We had to shoot Alex shouting "Okay Mum" about 5 times so I got a proper emphasis on him being wound up. I would later put in a kettle whistling sound in post production to add tension and suspense.

No comments:

Post a Comment