Friday 23 May 2014

Berlin Fashion Film Festival


I was contacted by a girl named Jazmin on Vimeo asking if I would like to send my Challenging Orientalism video into Berlin Fashion Film Festival for a cost of £50. At the time of receiving it i was absolutely buzzing, thinking someone has found my video, liked it, and asked me to send it in thinking I could win it. After a few discussions with my peers at uni, my tutors, and my mum, I was brought back down to earth. I had a major issue in the way of sending it and that was getting a license.

The track that is used in the video is Angels by Massive Attack.

I tried various online music licensing companies over the phone but i struggled to find any answers as to who would i speak to to find out how much it would cost to buy a years license for festival purposes only. My tutor recommended speaking with PRS for music who were the first real helpers in the situation. However, they forwarded me onto other people giving me two numbers. One of the numbers was PPL UK and the other was for Universal publisher.

PPL UK forwarded me to a specific woman who I would then have to ask who owns the rights for Massive Attacks Album Mezzanine and then speak with that person. I left a voicemail, called several times, and then gave up. I was able to speak with the publisher at Universal who would go on to tell me that it would cost a minimum of £50 to get a license for the track and that Its more beneficial to have several tracks from one artist in a film rather than just the one track. I even played the student card but didn't get any more luck.

Due to my Final project commitments, i abandoned the idea as I wasn't getting anywhere. I regret not trying harder to get a cheaper price and just entering it, however I lost patience and that was that!


No comments:

Post a Comment