Wednesday 7 May 2014

Casting my Characters

I had my mind set on filming in London and Leeds with various locations. I thought, however, It would be much easier to have my cast in one City and use locations within the same City.

I filmed a short film back in March about a gambler who was a poker player back. Me and a friend, who is based in London and Oxford, wrote it together over the summer. We based our locations on getting the equipment. I am able to rent equipment from uni and after discussing what type of equipment we would want to use, it would be easier to film in Leeds even though our main actor was based London. We arranged that we would need two days of filming, therefore, our actor would be able to come up to Leeds one weekend.

I realised with the time i would want to spend on filming that I wouldn't be able to rely on transferring my actors and actresses across the country due to lack of funds, plus I am predicting 3 days of filming.

I know of one of my friends brothers that i have known most of our lives that he is applying for drama schools at the moment. It wasn't until i bumped into him that i really considered him as my actor. We were playing football and i could tell by his aura that he would be perfect for the role. I envision him there and then whilst i was on the side line and straight away with my gut feeling i asked him if he would be interested. Ofcourse he, Alex Meredith, said he was. I had already been in conversation with a few different girls i have on i have Facebook about being the main actress, as i was going for a particularly striking look, I was absolutely delighted when Olivia Bernstone said yes. We used to be friendly and i'd seen over the last year or so she has been posting drama/theatre related things so I was able to speak to her on a familiar level.

To find a second girl to play the role of the other girl in the Jacuzzi, I advertised the role on Facebook and asked around. I approached an old friend of mine called Lauren White, who is a personal trainer. She, as well as Liv, both have incredible figures, which is how i had envisioned Alex's dream in the first sequence.

Whilst shooting the scene on the train as Alex get's nudged by a random passenger, I had originally planned to wait to ask a random passenger on the train. When it came to shooting, I asked a random passenger on the train to just nudge Alex and ask him to move his bag. This lovely lady was more than happy to help out but in all honesty it was absolutely rubbish, it just didn't work at all. Perhaps, meeting a person on the train for 20 seconds and asking them to say a couple of lines wasn't the most logistical way of doing things but i wanted it to be natural. I then asked a friend who lives down my road if he would dress up smartly and act as a random train passenger.

My mum is a brilliant nagger, which suited her perfectly for the role as a nagging mum.

No comments:

Post a Comment