Wednesday 26 March 2014

Fight Club (1999) David Fincher


Ed Norton plays the main role and narrator in Fight Club; he suffers from insomnia whilst living alone in an extremely mundane and boring life. His only excitement is ordering new items from Ikea to decorate his house with that gets set on fire. It is quite a dark film both in terms of the story and the visuals with many low key lit scenes based in New York. He meets Marla, another depressed character, at a number of support groups but they agree to go to different groups in order not to bump into eachother after they sleep together. Further forward into the film and it appears Marla has slept with both the narrator and his new friend that have been living together, Tyler. He turns his life around as his and Tyler’s friendship becomes more intense and they set up their own underground Fight Club. All good things come to an end and things take a turn for the worst when the narrator’s insomnia leaves him feel delusional which throws him out of touch with reality. 






I chose this film to research because of the main character’s disillusioned imagination. David Fincher doesn’t allow the audience to know that Tyler is a figment of the narrator’s imagination until Ed Norton starts questioning people he hangs around with about Tyler, who then in turn and respond by saying he is Tyler. 

The idea that I have for my character for my Extended Practice is that my character gets lost in his imagination. My character’s imagination doesn't lead to dangerous scenarios where he invents a project mayhem without realising or has an imaginary friend, only that he wishes/dreams he was somewhere else.

The reason my character dreams of being elsewhere is because he is unhappy with his reality. I don’t plan on my film being as dark as Fight Club and my character will be more in touch with reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment