Tuesday 10 December 2013

Lighting test 2

Below are two images of the lighting in my room with no flash on the camera. I'd used all the practical lighting i had available including, my TV and opening the bathroom door to allow as much light in as possible.

In my second lighting test, i will place two lights in two corners of my room along one of the walls that follows the same axis. The subject i will be lighting is a male friend (in the later images i have two) sitting on my bed.


The image below is a result of all the images taken in a row put together to compare the lighting contrasts.





Blue and red


It is quite intense
It’s quite flat
Contrasting colours
Dramatic
I use red and blue because I wanted to highlight the contradiction between the warm and cold or love / hate emotions between Josh and the girl.  With the lack of a third light it makes it look and feel more dramatic. It questions the audience sense of what is going on and adds mystery to the subject.



Dark gold and yellow


The yellow source is facing the left of my subject.
From one side of the face, where the yellow was highlighted it creates a powerful rim around the edges which is compromised by the eerie dark gold. When the subject has stepped out of the light the shadows that are created give a sense of something sinister.



Orange and light blue


Red and dark gold



Light blue and blue



Overall summary
After having completed this research it has occurred to me that I could recreate the mood of specific scenes from cinematographers that I am looking at through lighting.
If I had a third light, an ambient light of a tungsten or day light bulb it would look a lot less dramatic and less intense. 
I used two dedo lights in my room, I don’t think it would have been possible to spend over an hour with the arri 650w in my room as it would have been too hot. 
The dedo lights had dimmers so I was able to increase and decrease the intensity.   

No comments:

Post a Comment