Saturday 10 November 2012

Fallout 3 (pt 18) Playground

Abandoned old playground scene in Fallout 3. Looking specifically at the rusty playground and colours and textures.





Video below from 7:35



I was researching a few of the game environment designers for Fallout 3 and found an interesting article on Rashad Redic being interviewed by CGSociety in March 2009, Glynn Smith. I took only some questions and answers that i felt helped relate to me and building my own environment. Given his experience and knowhow, i'm sure he didn't feel as overwhelmed and intimidated by making something from scratch as i do but it's refreshing to see professionals still working on various tasks and not just one part of the game. It's worrying to see how good the textures and props are knowing it was all done by hand, but with practice and time i will hopefully be able to make my own assets and props to a good enough quality.


Fallout 3 game environment artist: Rashad Redic

I'm Rashad Redic and I've been at Bethesda for about two years now. I'm an environment artist, and that responsibility includes not only the architecture, props and other various physical structures of the world, but also any non character animations, lighting, landscaping and sometimes level layout where art is concerned.

For the size of games we do, we're a fairly small company so multitasking is a big part of our responsibility. Day-to-day work can vary widely, depending on priorities. Some days see me building architecture and props, some days I could be lighting, other days could see me just playing our game to give feedback to our designers as they iterate on gameplay.

What was the most challenging part of your work during the Fallout3 development period?

I think the most challenging part of our work is living up to the expectations people have of a Bethesda game. Our worlds are huge and detailed, our dev team could be considered small for the size of game we do, and there's a lot of work involved in providing the variety of unique handcrafted experiences. Nothing about Fallout is procedurally generated; every rock, tree and item in the wasteland was placed by hand, so if there's anything challenging about the process it's getting all that stuff in there and polished to an expected degree.

In what ways did you take Fallout3's day/night cycle into consideration, so that your work looked consistently good in all the various light models and times of day?

We use these full screen image processes similar to how film is tinted to color grade our environments, and we actually spent a lot of time tweaking the day and night cycles along with these image processes to give us the look we wanted. In our editor you can scrub through the different times of day and see how the color shifts affect the art, and we were very mindful of our color palette and art style throughout that process.

How much input did you have on the design and style of your work on Fallout3?

Lots! This freedom is one of my favorite parts of the job. We are usually given high level aesthetic goals, but how we interpret those is usually up to us. Throughout the wasteland of Fallout, you'll come across a lot of these corrugated metal and wooden shacks (Republic of Dave and Evergreen Mills are two examples where these are used). When I got the task, it was to more or less come up with a few multipurpose shacks that fit into the current style and looked different enough from the shacks that make up the Megaton settlement. How they turned out was pretty much my design decisions, with some technical considerations for how NPC's may use them. With few exceptions, most all the architecture and props I built are my design choices, and of course any revisions and the final OK are given by the art lead.

Lighting is another example where I'm pretty much left to make the decisions. There are some design principles of course like making sure the main paths are appropriately lit, and maybe using light to call attention to things, but I'm pretty much deciding the mood of most dungeons, while honoring the intent of the original level design. Some of those dungeons I lit were Dunwich, Our Lady of Hope, Statesman Hotel, Evergreen Mills, and the Mechanist lair, among many others.

Giving that you've worked on a game based in a post-apocalyptic nuclear fallout, blasted-to-bits world, where did you find the best references for both your concepts and your texture source?

I love gathering reference, it's kind of like having a blank slate, and as you see all these cool and interesting things, a plan starts to come together. I don't think I have any one place I'd consider a favorite for references or texture sources, I've been building a database of refs, textures and inspirations going back to college, now numbering about 350,000 images.

No comments:

Post a Comment